Skip to main content

Empire List #499: Saw

In 2004, the “Saw” franchise began and in October of 2010 the world should see it arrive in 3D. This has been without a doubt, one of the most successful horror franchises in history: one movie a year, all made on a relatively small budget, a simple plot, buckets of blood, twist ending after twist ending, and a truckload of traps. Yet I must confess that out of all of the movies in this franchise, I only saw the first one by James Wan in 2005, and I was not impressed.

At the time I was still in CEGEP (pre-University school in Quebec), living with my mom in Quebec City. I was flipping channels one evening on a weekend when the menu showed that “Saw” would be playing soon. There are not many movies released in English in Quebec City, so I am glad whenever I can catch one on TV, no matter the subject matter. I remembered seeing the posters for “Saw” the year before, featuring Shawnee Smith wearing the infamous “reverse bear trap,” and I was mildly curious. I had read that it had a twist ending and that a sequel was on the way so I thought I might as well watch a free movie.

The movie opens in a rather unique way: two men, chained at the ankles and locked in a dirty bathroom with a dead body on the floor. The only way to free themselves is to cut through their bones with a saw. Audiotapes inform them that Dr. Lawrence Gordon (Cary Elwes) must kill Adam Stanheight (Leigh Whannell) before six o’clock or he’ll lose his wife and daughter and be left to die. Lawrence tells Adam that he knows the identity of the man who kidnapped them, a serial killer called Jigsaw, who forces his victims to play sadistic games in order to better appreciate their lives.

Flashbacks show detectives investigating the various crime scenes, that include one in which a man who was trapped in a cage with barbed wire and another who was locked in a room covered with a flammable substance and had to use a candle to read possible combinations to the door’s lock on the wall. At the time, people had compared these scenes to the investigation in “Seven” which also featured a serial killer that committed gruesome murders and left an orgy of evidence at the crime scene. The difference is that in “Seven” the murders are left unseen, leaving it to the audience to imagine the crime, which is more effective than staging gory death scenes for spectacles.

That being said, the twist ending did take me by surprise. Midway through the movie it is shown that it was Zep (Michael Emerson) an orderly from Dr. Gordon’s hospital who kidnapped him and Adam. (Spoiler alert) Detective David Tapp (Danny Glover) frees Lawrence’s family and chases Zep to Jigsaw’s hideout, but Zep kills him. When Zep enters the room to kill Lawrence, but is killed by Adam. Lawrence, who had indeed sawed off his foot, crawls to the exit to go get help. But then the “dead” body wakes up, locks up Adam in the room, and the credits roll as we hear Adam weeping in the room. The man in question is John Kramer, a patient with a terminal case of brain cancer who was a patient at Lawrence’s hospital.

I later learned from an Internet animated prequel that John Kramer is a divorced engineer who decided to devise his sick traps to give people new love for life after he was diagnosed with cancer. Apparently, because he was about to lose his life, he felt people should appreciate their lives even more. Hence he targets junkies, people who have tried to commit suicide, or anybody else he feels are wasting their lives. Oh, jeez, what a nice guy! Why doesn’t he just do what everyone else does and write some self-help book?

This is just one of the many things that makes no sense in this story. Also, if he was a divorced engineer dying from cancer, where did he get the money to build all those traps? Shouldn’t he have been spending money on medical bills? And in this age of C.S.I, Bones, and other crime procedurals, how come no cop ever manages to catch this guy, despite the mountain of physical evidence left at the crime scenes?

All of these plot holes are inconsequential of course. This movie, and all of those that came later, is just an excuse to watch people be tortured in a gruesome and bloody ways. “Saw” and later “Hostel” started a new trend in American cinema known as “torture porn,” which consists of movies where characters are tortured throughout almost the entire movie in ways that are more and more disgusting and cringe-inducing from one torture chamber to the next.

Not for me, thanks. I found the ending of this first movie to be surprising but a little insulting. It’s almost as if the writer was saying “FOOLED YOU! The bad guy was in the room the whole time and you didn’t see it coming!” I have skipped every sequel ever since, but I have been curious enough to read the plot summaries on Wikipedia. They still don’t make sense. As for watching people get tortured for entertainment, I prefer “Dexter.” At least on that show the people who get tortured have it coming, and there is no idiotic game or a moronic puppet riding a tricycle.     

Also, in what kind of a world do we live in when Danny Glover, who played ass-kicking Detective Roger Murtaugh in the “Lethal Weapon” franchise, gets killed by a simple hospital orderly? Here’s my fantasy for the “Saw” films: to see Glover’s character get back from the dead and kill Jigsaw and his merry band of apprentices with his six-shooter from “Lethal Weapon.” Now that is gratuitous violence I would appreciate.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #20: Blade Runner

  Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (1982) is one of those movies that gets more relevant with each passing decade. Set in a (now passed) future in which Los Angeles is overrun with people and pollution, the story focuses on artificial lifeforms clashing with their human creators. As the chase for these lifeforms progresses, writers Hampton Francher and David Peoples imply they may not be so different from the humans chasing them. If this sounds topical in 2024, imagine how relevant it will sound ten years from now. When writing these amateur reviews, I usually try to think back on the first time I watched the movie and what I felt at the time. This is tricky with Blade Runner considering there have been five versions of the film released since the 1980s. I believe the first version I did see on TV was the original theatrical version with the narration to guide the audience since executives thought that was needed. I eventually disagreed and purchased the Final Cut on Blu-Ray to see th...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #357: The long Goodbye

  Sometimes in a detective story the mystery is not half as fun as the detective stuck in the chaos of the story. Philip Marlow is one of those detectives. His name is synonymous with Hollywood noir and in The Long Goodbye (1973), he dives deep into a mystery involving a murder, then a suicide, then a missing person, and eventually a very violent gangster operating in sunny Los Angeles. One thing I love about this version is that this detective loves his cat enough to go buy him food at three o’clock in the morning. Now that is a dedicated pet lover. The late great director Robert Altman starts the action at a slow pace to introduce Marlowe (Eliott Gould) as he wakes up to his hungry cat. Here is a man who falls asleep in his clothes, always the same suit and tie, and is either constantly smoking or lighting a new cigarette. He is a friendly person, nice enough to pick up an item for his neighbours while going out to get cat food. It probably helps that said neighbours are five y...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #24: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

  Looking back on the first movie in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings saga, my first thought is that people really need fantasy in their lives. The Fellowship of the Ring came out in 2001, a year when to say the least the news were pretty depressing. An escape to a fantasy land filled with wizards, hobbits, elves, and dwarves engaged in a fight of good versus of evil came at just the right time. You get a certain feeling when you sit in a theater, the lights dim, and you are swept away to the beauty of Middle Earth, via New Zealand. Given the length of Jackson’s movies, it is also a fairly long escape from reality. Prior to sitting down in that theater in 2001, my knowledge of J.R.R Tolkien’s fantasy work was fair at best. I believe I had read the books at least once before and has seen the animated movie from the 1980s, but I was no Stephen Colbert. Since watching that first movie my appreciation for Tolkien’s world has grown as I own the extended cuts of every one of the...