Skip to main content

TIFF for the First Time

Ever since I created this blog I have only written amateur movie reviews. I am just one of thousands of film fans, nothing special. Until Wednesday of last week I was limited by the fact that I was living in Quebec City where most of the movies are dubbed in French, which I hate. Great movies are made in Quebec, but because it is mostly Francophone town, they prefer to dub any foreign movie. Since I learned how to speak English when I was around six years old, I can tell that something is often lost in translation. Hence I was always eargerly awaiting  the week-end to see which movie might be shown in its original language. This summer I missed a lot of wide releases and mostly watched movies made in Quebec or France. Which brings me back to last Wednesday, when I moved to Oakville, a small town outside of Toronto.

After I obtained my B.A in English Studies, I did not see myself going anywhere hence I decided to go to Sheridan College where I was accepted in post-graduate program called Journalism-New Media. It is an intensive eight-month journalism course which focuses on the impact of the Internet on the industry. I am hoping this may eventually give me greater employment opportunities and maybe give this blog some clout.

Meanwhile, the Toronto International Film Festival officially began this Thursday and for the first time in my life I am close enough to attend. A very person in one of my classes gave me a program and I fully intend to use it this week-end and possibly the next. I would love to go see a midnight screening of John Carpenter's The Ward. I think his version of The Thing is one of the best horror movies ever made. Attending at midnight might prove a bit challenging for me since I have classes all week, am currently unemployed, am running on student loans, and it takes me an hour to get from my bedroom to downtown Toronto. But, I have been a film fan since I watched my first Dysney movie and you can bet that I will not miss this for the world.

In this day and age it seems the best job on this whole planet is to be an American movie star. You can be rich, famous, loved and admired by the whole world and be paid to go work in the Caribbean. I believe the next best thing is to be paid to watch movies and then write what you think about it. If you cannot be paid to do it, then it's still a pleasure to watch this wonderful art form and write as a hobby.

I know of two people who write movies on the Internet that fit these two descriptions. Roger Ebert, of At the Movies fame, has successfully adapted to the Internet age by posting his movie reviews online, writing on his blog, and writing some of the smartest things on Twitter. Then there is blogger Grace Wang, whose essays about movies have been featured on Roger Ebert's website. Her texts can sometimes spark intelligent debates and many posts from other online writers. Her website says that she has regular 9-to-5 job, but she is clearly a gifted writer. I once responded to one of her blogs which turned out to be about the meaning of life, of all things. I can only hope to one day be able to spark such rich debates among people, on the Internet or anywhere else for that matter.

Yet this month I have a chance to chronicle my first time at TIFF. It is one of the most anticipated film festivals of the year, the launching pad for the Oscars, and I am but a bus and a train ride away. Given the fact that I am now a journalism student, I want to make the most of this experience and hopefully look back at it one day as the beginning of a (successful?) career.

More to come. TIFF, here I come!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #97: Reservoir Dogs

One of the most surprising things about Quentin Tarantino’s debut film Reservoir Dogs (1992) is the fact that it has never been adapted for the stage. They will make a show out of Beauty and the Beast , Monty Python and the Holy Grail , and even Spider-Man , but somehow a movie in which most of the action takes place in a warehouse has never made it to Broadway? In any case, this was the movie that announced the arrival of the insatiable film fan that could regurgitate everything he had learned watching movies at the video store into stories filled with sudden bursts of violence, sharp-dressed characters, awesome soundtracks, and crackling dialogue.   Since this violent piece of American cinema came out at a time when I was still learning basic math in elementary school there was no way I would watch this on the big screen. However as the years went by it became a cult classic, and even a classic of the independent movies genre, and was re-released on special edition DVD for its

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #49: Evil Dead 2

What do you get when you mix buckets of fake blood, creative camera operators, the humour of the Three Stooges, and a man with the most recognizable chin in Hollywood? You get Evil Dead II (1987), the horror classic that somehow manages to remake the original in the first 15 minutes and yet feel entirely original. Even though it is mostly set in a cabin in the woods, that staple location in the horror genre, it feels like a roller coaster ride. This is especially true once the film's hero, the scrappy Ash Williams, embraces the madness by arming himself with a sawed-off shotgun and attaching a chainsaw where his hand used to be. "Groovy" indeed. This gore-soaked franchise has had a long run, starting off with one low-budget movie directed by a young Sam Raimi and then growing into two sequels, a remake, comic books and a TV show with three seasons. My starting point was the third entry, Army of Darkness, which moves the action to the Middle Ages with the same

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #102: The Hustler

Robert Rossen’s The Hustler (1961) is proof that any sport can be used for good cinematic drama even if that sport is pool. Although this is not a game that involves a massive sport arena and bloody boxing gloves, things can get dramatically interesting if the monetary stakes are high, and visually arresting if the filmmakers shoot from the right angle. It also helps a lot if the man putting his money on the table is played by a young Paul Newman in a career-breaking role. Prior to watching the film I had a vague idea of the meaning of the word “hustling” and a rather passive interest in the game of pool. It’s a fun game to play if you are having a couple of nachos and chicken wings on a Friday evening with friends, but I didn’t see it as a spectator sport. Watching The Hustler in the classics section of Netflix two years ago was a bit of an education since it shows the sport as a way of life for some people, and a huge source of revenue for big time gamblers. Newman star as