Skip to main content

Empire Magazine Greatest Movies List: #381 - Monty Python and the Holy Grail


You know a comedy group is part of pop culture, nay culture itself, when they are included in a dictionary. Pythonesque: after the style of or resembling the absurdist or surrealist humor of Monty Python’s Flying Circus, a British television comedy series (1969-74). British comedians Terry Jones, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman, and American Terry Gilliam changed the face of televised comedy, paving the way for Second City, Saturday Night Live, Kids in the Hall, The Simpsons, and even South Park. And then, in 1974, the gang decided to make movies. The result: “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” Horses not included, but coconuts were available.

Funny thing about the very first time I saw this Holy Grail of comedies. It was in Spanish. I don’t exactly remember where, but this was back in the late 90s when my family and I were living in South America. It was playing on TV and since my dad used to live in England, you can bet he knew who the Pythons were. I didn’t know, but once I saw the bit with the Trojan rabbit I was sold. I didn’t understand all of the dialogue since my Spanish wasn’t that good at the time, but once you’ve seen a giant wooden rabbit being tossed through the air by a bunch of vulgar Frenchmen, you get the picture. 

The plot, or what stands for a plot, is the standard legend of King Arthur’s quest for the Holy Grail. Except in the Python’s world, King Arthur (Graham Chapman) along with his squire Patsy (Terry Gilliam) must first convince people he really is the king. “I didn’t know we had a king,” says a well-spoken peasant. “I thought we were an autonomous collective.” The peasant gets even more skeptical when Arthur tries to convince him he got his legendary sword from a lady in a lake.

Once Arthur has assembled the Knights of the Round Table, which include Sir Bedevere The Wise (Terry Jones), Sir Lancelot the Brave (John Cleese), Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot (Eric Idle), and Sir Galahad the Pure (Michael Palin), the quest is on. After an unfortunate encounter with the aforementioned foul-mouthed Frenchmen, Arthur believes the knights should seek the Grail separately. This leads to several humorous misadventures for each knight, such as Lancelot crashing a wedding party, Arthur and Bedevere running into the dreaded Knights who say Ni, and Galahad nearly losing his purity with Zoot (Carol Cleveland) and her fellow lascivious ladies at castle Anthrax.

Will they find the Grail? They should be more concerned about the poor modern-day historian who was slain by one of the knights, triggering a police investigation. The Pythons don’t just break the fourth wall; they bring it down with a bulldozer.

Since the cast came from a television background and were more used to performing sketch comedy, it might explain why the movie is not so much a straight narrative but a series of gags waiting to happen. The result is a loose story with a running time of 87 minutes, but every sketch works. Unlike the lazy guys behind “Epic Movie,” “Disaster Movie,” and, I don’t know, “Crappy Movie,” the Pythons don’t only rely on cheap physical gags to appeal to the lowest denominator. When the knights find clues about the Grail’s location inside a cave, they debate whether or not the name of the castle indicated on the walls is really “Castle Aaaarrrrrggghhh” or if the writer actually wrote down his own scream as he was being killed. Seriously, which explanation is the least ridiculous when reading something like that on a cave wall?

For devoted Python fans, I highly recommend the Extraordinarily Deluxe Edition of the movie. It includes a visit to the movie’s locations by Michael Palin and Terry Jones, a featurette about the proper use of a coconut, and my favorite, a Lego animation of the “Camelot Song.” With a song and a dance number like that, its proof these guys would be funny in any language. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #20: Blade Runner

  Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (1982) is one of those movies that gets more relevant with each passing decade. Set in a (now passed) future in which Los Angeles is overrun with people and pollution, the story focuses on artificial lifeforms clashing with their human creators. As the chase for these lifeforms progresses, writers Hampton Francher and David Peoples imply they may not be so different from the humans chasing them. If this sounds topical in 2024, imagine how relevant it will sound ten years from now. When writing these amateur reviews, I usually try to think back on the first time I watched the movie and what I felt at the time. This is tricky with Blade Runner considering there have been five versions of the film released since the 1980s. I believe the first version I did see on TV was the original theatrical version with the narration to guide the audience since executives thought that was needed. I eventually disagreed and purchased the Final Cut on Blu-Ray to see th...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #357: The long Goodbye

  Sometimes in a detective story the mystery is not half as fun as the detective stuck in the chaos of the story. Philip Marlow is one of those detectives. His name is synonymous with Hollywood noir and in The Long Goodbye (1973), he dives deep into a mystery involving a murder, then a suicide, then a missing person, and eventually a very violent gangster operating in sunny Los Angeles. One thing I love about this version is that this detective loves his cat enough to go buy him food at three o’clock in the morning. Now that is a dedicated pet lover. The late great director Robert Altman starts the action at a slow pace to introduce Marlowe (Eliott Gould) as he wakes up to his hungry cat. Here is a man who falls asleep in his clothes, always the same suit and tie, and is either constantly smoking or lighting a new cigarette. He is a friendly person, nice enough to pick up an item for his neighbours while going out to get cat food. It probably helps that said neighbours are five y...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #24: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

  Looking back on the first movie in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings saga, my first thought is that people really need fantasy in their lives. The Fellowship of the Ring came out in 2001, a year when to say the least the news were pretty depressing. An escape to a fantasy land filled with wizards, hobbits, elves, and dwarves engaged in a fight of good versus of evil came at just the right time. You get a certain feeling when you sit in a theater, the lights dim, and you are swept away to the beauty of Middle Earth, via New Zealand. Given the length of Jackson’s movies, it is also a fairly long escape from reality. Prior to sitting down in that theater in 2001, my knowledge of J.R.R Tolkien’s fantasy work was fair at best. I believe I had read the books at least once before and has seen the animated movie from the 1980s, but I was no Stephen Colbert. Since watching that first movie my appreciation for Tolkien’s world has grown as I own the extended cuts of every one of the...