Skip to main content

Empire Magazine Greatest Movies List - #387: Rain Man


For better or for worse, “Rain Man” is the film that introduced autism to pop culture. Dustin Hoffman’s dedicated performance as Raymond Babbitt, an idiot savant, has been referenced in television shows, movies, and even a Ricky Gervais monologue. The performance earned him an Academy Award, but special mention should also go to Tom Cruise for playing a character that begins as a greedy opportunist and evolves into a caring individual. It seems unlikely Hoffman and Cruise could play brothers, but the scene in Las Vegas when they dance together greatly helps to suspend your disbelief.

This movie was a rental from about seven years ago at my mom’s suggestion. She had seen it; I am guessing back when it first came out in 1988, and fondly described the story and Hoffman’s performance.  I guess anybody who was alive in the 80s saw that performance as part of that era’s pop culture. Since I was born in the 80s and didn’t exactly feel like watching that movie when I was two years old, renting it was a good opportunity to watch a movie both mom and I can appreciate. Good thing, because the older I get, the less movies we watch together. She and I aren’t going to sit down any day soon to watch John Woo’s “The Killer.”

“Rain Man,” directed by Barry Levinson, tells a much more family-friendly comedy/drama that can be enjoyed by everyone. Charlie Babbitt (Cruise), a car dealer from Los Angeles is in danger of losing a good chunk of cash if he cannot find a way to import four Lamborghinis for his business. He believes his troubles are over when he learns of his estranged father’s death and travels to Cincinnati for the reading of the will. Unfortunately, all Babbitt senior left him is a classic Buick Roadmaster and several prize rose bushes. However, three million dollars are donated to a mental institution that is the home of Raymond (Hoffman) the brother he never knew he had.

Raymond is autistic, and with Hoffman’s performance it means he shows very little human expressions, adheres to strict routines, and has superb counting skills. This is of little interest to Charlie, who only wants a way to obtain those three millions. Charlie essentially kidnaps Raymond and takes him on a cross-country trip to Los Angeles where his attorneys will begin a custody battle over the money. He will use Raymond as a bargaining chip with the hospital so they can maintain custody of Raymond in exchange for the money. That move is so repulsive Charlie’s girlfriend (Valeria Golino) leaves him right then and there.

The story then switches into a road movie, hence the inheritance of a convertible, as Charlie and Raymond drive to Los Angeles. Along the way Charlie will learn it is not easy to take care of a mentally disabled man by himself. When Raymond misses a part of his routine, such as watching a TV show at a specific time, he throws a fit, forcing Charlie to find a television set as quickly as possible. He also learns that Raymond is actually Rain Man, a protective figure from his childhood he always thought was a figment of his imagination, and that there is a reason his brother’s existence was kept from him.

That Charlie and Raymond will bond by the time they arrive in Los Angeles is both inevitable and predictable. Regardless, the movie succeeds in charming you thanks to the work of its two leads. Hoffman is in character for the whole film, playing a man who isn’t completely there, but still manages to develop affection towards a man who initially wants to exploit him. Tom Cruise has a role just as challenging by playing a man, who is greedy enough to use Raymond’s counting skills at a Las Vegas casino, but also human enough to realize he loves his brother.

I am no doctor, I don’t know if this is an accurate portrayal of a person with autism. However, it can’t be denied it is an endearing performance; worthy of all the awards Hoffman won for it. Although, having now seen “Tropic Thunder” it makes one wonder if Robert Downey Jr. wasn’t right when he said Hoffman won because he didn’t go “full retard” (his words) by having Raymond by a counting whiz. I just hope casinos don’t ban autistic people out of fear they could count the cards.


Oh, and, good one Mr. Gervais.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #20: Blade Runner

  Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (1982) is one of those movies that gets more relevant with each passing decade. Set in a (now passed) future in which Los Angeles is overrun with people and pollution, the story focuses on artificial lifeforms clashing with their human creators. As the chase for these lifeforms progresses, writers Hampton Francher and David Peoples imply they may not be so different from the humans chasing them. If this sounds topical in 2024, imagine how relevant it will sound ten years from now. When writing these amateur reviews, I usually try to think back on the first time I watched the movie and what I felt at the time. This is tricky with Blade Runner considering there have been five versions of the film released since the 1980s. I believe the first version I did see on TV was the original theatrical version with the narration to guide the audience since executives thought that was needed. I eventually disagreed and purchased the Final Cut on Blu-Ray to see th...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #357: The long Goodbye

  Sometimes in a detective story the mystery is not half as fun as the detective stuck in the chaos of the story. Philip Marlow is one of those detectives. His name is synonymous with Hollywood noir and in The Long Goodbye (1973), he dives deep into a mystery involving a murder, then a suicide, then a missing person, and eventually a very violent gangster operating in sunny Los Angeles. One thing I love about this version is that this detective loves his cat enough to go buy him food at three o’clock in the morning. Now that is a dedicated pet lover. The late great director Robert Altman starts the action at a slow pace to introduce Marlowe (Eliott Gould) as he wakes up to his hungry cat. Here is a man who falls asleep in his clothes, always the same suit and tie, and is either constantly smoking or lighting a new cigarette. He is a friendly person, nice enough to pick up an item for his neighbours while going out to get cat food. It probably helps that said neighbours are five y...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #24: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

  Looking back on the first movie in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings saga, my first thought is that people really need fantasy in their lives. The Fellowship of the Ring came out in 2001, a year when to say the least the news were pretty depressing. An escape to a fantasy land filled with wizards, hobbits, elves, and dwarves engaged in a fight of good versus of evil came at just the right time. You get a certain feeling when you sit in a theater, the lights dim, and you are swept away to the beauty of Middle Earth, via New Zealand. Given the length of Jackson’s movies, it is also a fairly long escape from reality. Prior to sitting down in that theater in 2001, my knowledge of J.R.R Tolkien’s fantasy work was fair at best. I believe I had read the books at least once before and has seen the animated movie from the 1980s, but I was no Stephen Colbert. Since watching that first movie my appreciation for Tolkien’s world has grown as I own the extended cuts of every one of the...