Skip to main content

Empire List #436: Beauty and the Beast

Chances one of the first movies your parents showed you was a Disney movie. Disney is the safe choice: its movies always have cute and cuddly characters, moral lessons you can carry with you for the rest of your life, scenes depicting good triumphing over evil, and often, singing characters. Occasionally the Mouse House breaks new grounds in animation and gets a shot at an Academy Award for best film. “Beauty and the Beast” the 1991 version by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, is one such film.

I have to admit, the very first time I saw this movie parts of it scared me. In my defence I must have been around six years old and what the titular Beast got mad, I wouldn’t have liked to be sitting in his lazy-boy. It wasn’t even my choice. It was movie time in the first grade so of course the teacher went with the Disney catalogue and closed the curtains as we sat on the carpet. I am not sure if I even understood everything the first time since back then I was living in Corner Brook, Newfoundland and I was only beginning to learn how to speak English. What I am sure of is that I would have preferred “Aladdin” because nothing beats Robin Williams in genie mode. However, “Beauty and the Beast” does have its charms.

A prologue informs the viewers that “once upon a time” there was an enchantress disguised as a beggar woman who knocked at the door of a prince’s castle seeking shelter. He promptly told her to get lost, spurning her wrath and causing her to transform the prince into a hideous beast. The only way to lift the curse is for him to find true love before a magical rose loses all of her petals or else he will be a beast forever.

The Beauty comes in the form of Belle (Paige O’Hara), the daughter of an inventor in a French village. Belle loves her father, loves her books, and occasionally loves to spontaneously start singing in the streets to express how she feels about her life. What she doesn’t like is Gaston (Richard White); the pompous local hero who assumes the whole world loves him as much as he loves himself. He could have any woman in the village, but sets his sights on Belle believing she will immediately jump at the chance of being his obedient wife. What a dolt.

When Maurice, Belle’s father, leaves the village to take his latest invention to a fair, he gets lost in the woods and is attacked by wolves. He seeks refuge at the Beast’s castle and is surprised to be received by talking furniture, which are nonetheless very accommodating. Unfortunately the Beast (Robbie Benson) is furious at seeing they’ve let an intruder in the house and locks Maurice away in the dungeon. Led by Maurice’s horse to the castle, Belle convinces the Beast to let him go in exchange for her life.

Over time of course, the beautiful Belle manages the melt the cold Beast’s heart. It doesn’t hurt that the Beast owns a library the size of a theatre, leading to a great moment when he pulls the curtain to reveal the rows and rows of books much to her delight. Those are the parts that the girls loved. Isn’t that romantic? Being a guy I preferred the battle scenes in the third act when the jealous Gaston forms an angry mob with pitchforks and heads to the castle to slay the Beast. It never occurred to them they might get attacked by feather dusters, teacups, and wardrobes.

“Beauty and the Beast” is often praised for the dance number when Belle and the Beast dance in a computer-generated ballroom as the camera dollies around them in a simulated 3D space. Technically impressive, but my favourite musical number is when Lumiere (Jerry Orbach) the maitre d’ turned into a candlestick performs “Be Our Guest” for Belle in the dining room. He is so enthusiastic he manages to make the uptight clock-shaped butler Cogsworth (David Ogden Stiers) join in on the dance.

What was even more impressive was seeing all of this live on stage. During a high school trip to New York City I got to see “Beauty and the Beast” on Broadway. I don’t care if you hate Disney, musicals, or even New York. You simply have to see this play for the costumes. You’d think it was impossible to make a clock costume with swinging pendulum inside, but they did it. Now, if only they could make “Aladdin he Broadway Musical” with Robin Williams…




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #20: Blade Runner

  Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (1982) is one of those movies that gets more relevant with each passing decade. Set in a (now passed) future in which Los Angeles is overrun with people and pollution, the story focuses on artificial lifeforms clashing with their human creators. As the chase for these lifeforms progresses, writers Hampton Francher and David Peoples imply they may not be so different from the humans chasing them. If this sounds topical in 2024, imagine how relevant it will sound ten years from now. When writing these amateur reviews, I usually try to think back on the first time I watched the movie and what I felt at the time. This is tricky with Blade Runner considering there have been five versions of the film released since the 1980s. I believe the first version I did see on TV was the original theatrical version with the narration to guide the audience since executives thought that was needed. I eventually disagreed and purchased the Final Cut on Blu-Ray to see th...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #357: The long Goodbye

  Sometimes in a detective story the mystery is not half as fun as the detective stuck in the chaos of the story. Philip Marlow is one of those detectives. His name is synonymous with Hollywood noir and in The Long Goodbye (1973), he dives deep into a mystery involving a murder, then a suicide, then a missing person, and eventually a very violent gangster operating in sunny Los Angeles. One thing I love about this version is that this detective loves his cat enough to go buy him food at three o’clock in the morning. Now that is a dedicated pet lover. The late great director Robert Altman starts the action at a slow pace to introduce Marlowe (Eliott Gould) as he wakes up to his hungry cat. Here is a man who falls asleep in his clothes, always the same suit and tie, and is either constantly smoking or lighting a new cigarette. He is a friendly person, nice enough to pick up an item for his neighbours while going out to get cat food. It probably helps that said neighbours are five y...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #24: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

  Looking back on the first movie in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings saga, my first thought is that people really need fantasy in their lives. The Fellowship of the Ring came out in 2001, a year when to say the least the news were pretty depressing. An escape to a fantasy land filled with wizards, hobbits, elves, and dwarves engaged in a fight of good versus of evil came at just the right time. You get a certain feeling when you sit in a theater, the lights dim, and you are swept away to the beauty of Middle Earth, via New Zealand. Given the length of Jackson’s movies, it is also a fairly long escape from reality. Prior to sitting down in that theater in 2001, my knowledge of J.R.R Tolkien’s fantasy work was fair at best. I believe I had read the books at least once before and has seen the animated movie from the 1980s, but I was no Stephen Colbert. Since watching that first movie my appreciation for Tolkien’s world has grown as I own the extended cuts of every one of the...