Skip to main content

Empire List #496: Superman Returns


I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand it was a great feeling to go see a Superman movie on the big screen for the first time and to see Kevin Spacey do an impeccable job as archvillain Lex Luthor. On the other hand, having already seen three Superman movies on the small screen and many TV episodes, whether animated or live action, I didn’t feel that “Superman Returns” brought anything new to the table: same villain, same on/off relationship with Lois Lane, and same evil plot.

This new Superman movie came out in 2006, years after the disaster that was “Superman IV: The Quest for Peace” and one year after the release of “Batman Begin” which had grounded the superhero genre in a more dramatic and realistic landscape. Suffice to say that the bar was high. I felt that the movie was in good hands knowing that it had been made by Bryan Singer who had done a great job with the first two “X-Men” movies and had made one of the best crime movies of the 90s, “The Usual Suspects,” when teamed him up with Kevin Spacey.

So in the summer of 2006 I entered the Cineplex Odeon in Quebec City hoping to have a good time. I was just happy that it was in English and not dubbed in French for one thing. Ever since I had gotten back from South America I had to deal with the fact that maybe there is one big movie that comes out in its original version in Quebec City. The rest of the time they are re-recorded by French actors, and if there is cheesy dialogue in the original version, I find that is even cheesier when it’s translated.

But on that particular occasion I was lucky enough to be able to enjoy a big Hollywood movie during what was turning out to be a stressful summer. I had just finished two years of CEGEP (a pre-university program in Quebec), I was doing a mediocre summer job (telemarketer), and in a few weeks I was heading for the University of Sherbrooke. Some escapism was needed.

From the very beginning you can tell that Singer has a lot of love for the first movie, since he uses the same music originally composed by John Williams for the opening credits as the camera zooms across the galaxy. It’s a clear message: the Superman we know and love from Richard Donner’s original movie is coming home. Later there is an homage to Superman’s first night of fighting crime in the city of Metropolis from the first movie, only this time special effects allow for a shot in which a criminal shoots a bullet aimed at Superman’s eye and the bullet bounces off his retina.

With permission from Marlon Brando’s estate, Singer even manages to bring back Superman’s father, played by Brando, despite the fact that the actor had died two years before the movie was released.

No doubt about it this movie has thousands of amazing special effects sequences, such as when Superman rescues an out-of-control plane, or when an island emerges out of the Atlantic, and when Superman actually lifts that island to throw it into outer space. Yet oddly enough I found some of the flight scenes from the earlier movies to be somewhat more realistic. Maybe it’s the costume. In the original movie Christopher Reeves was wearing a costume that looked like real cloth while flying in front of a green screen with superimposed footage. In this news version, the emblem on Brandon Routh’s costume looks like it’s made out of plastic and his cape looks artificially animated. As a result, I got the feeling I was looking at a cartoon shooting through the sky.

Speaking of which, Brandon Routh is great as Superman since he resembles Reeves a lot. Yet as Clark Kent, he comes off as weaker than he needs to be. When Kent learns that as a result of Superman’s prolonged absence from Earth, Lois Lane has a son and will soon be married, he mopes off to a bar and stares down a glass. I know that Clark Kent is the weaker half of the two people who share that body, but come on! Man up!

My biggest problem with the movie is with Lex Luthor’s evil plan. Because Superman was absent from Earth for years and could not testify against him, he was paroled and has been plotting a big revenge/comeback scheme ever since. Not much of a plan: once again Luthor plans to cause a major catastrophe that is related to real estate, this time using technology he found at Superman’s lair, and once again he will use Kryptonite to try to kill Superman. By now, shouldn’t Superman anticipate this? In the animated series I used to watch in the late 90’s a scientist had actually been smart enough to build a radiation suit to protect Superman. It makes sense. It’s his only weakness in the entire universe, shouldn’t he be thinking of a way to withstand it?

One interesting new character is Jason (Tristan Lake Leabu) Lois Lane’s son. The kid is at first quite uninteresting as he is always puffing on an inhaler. However, it becomes quite clear that his father is not Richard White (James Marsden) Lois’ fiancée, when Jason hurls a piano at a henchman that was threatening his mother. I had never seen a version of any Superman story in which he has a son, so it would be very interesting to see where that particular storyline could go in other movies.

As of this year, the rumours are that Christopher Nolan, he who reinvented the superhero genre with “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight,” will produce the next movie. I anticipate a solid story and I hope he hires Kevin Spacey to once again play Luthor, but I hope new villains are introduced. As far as I am concerned, the best movie in this franchise is “Superman II” because in that one Superman had to fight three supervillains who had the same powers he did. Talk about a triple threat. Also next time, enough with the kryptonite, it’s getting old.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #20: Blade Runner

  Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner (1982) is one of those movies that gets more relevant with each passing decade. Set in a (now passed) future in which Los Angeles is overrun with people and pollution, the story focuses on artificial lifeforms clashing with their human creators. As the chase for these lifeforms progresses, writers Hampton Francher and David Peoples imply they may not be so different from the humans chasing them. If this sounds topical in 2024, imagine how relevant it will sound ten years from now. When writing these amateur reviews, I usually try to think back on the first time I watched the movie and what I felt at the time. This is tricky with Blade Runner considering there have been five versions of the film released since the 1980s. I believe the first version I did see on TV was the original theatrical version with the narration to guide the audience since executives thought that was needed. I eventually disagreed and purchased the Final Cut on Blu-Ray to see th...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #357: The long Goodbye

  Sometimes in a detective story the mystery is not half as fun as the detective stuck in the chaos of the story. Philip Marlow is one of those detectives. His name is synonymous with Hollywood noir and in The Long Goodbye (1973), he dives deep into a mystery involving a murder, then a suicide, then a missing person, and eventually a very violent gangster operating in sunny Los Angeles. One thing I love about this version is that this detective loves his cat enough to go buy him food at three o’clock in the morning. Now that is a dedicated pet lover. The late great director Robert Altman starts the action at a slow pace to introduce Marlowe (Eliott Gould) as he wakes up to his hungry cat. Here is a man who falls asleep in his clothes, always the same suit and tie, and is either constantly smoking or lighting a new cigarette. He is a friendly person, nice enough to pick up an item for his neighbours while going out to get cat food. It probably helps that said neighbours are five y...

Empire Magazine (2008) Greatest Movies List - #24: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

  Looking back on the first movie in Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings saga, my first thought is that people really need fantasy in their lives. The Fellowship of the Ring came out in 2001, a year when to say the least the news were pretty depressing. An escape to a fantasy land filled with wizards, hobbits, elves, and dwarves engaged in a fight of good versus of evil came at just the right time. You get a certain feeling when you sit in a theater, the lights dim, and you are swept away to the beauty of Middle Earth, via New Zealand. Given the length of Jackson’s movies, it is also a fairly long escape from reality. Prior to sitting down in that theater in 2001, my knowledge of J.R.R Tolkien’s fantasy work was fair at best. I believe I had read the books at least once before and has seen the animated movie from the 1980s, but I was no Stephen Colbert. Since watching that first movie my appreciation for Tolkien’s world has grown as I own the extended cuts of every one of the...